In all over October 2018, Klaus F. Zimmermann, President of the Global Labor Organization (GLO) and UNU-MERIT & Maastricht University will be Visiting Professor at the famous Renmin University of China, Beijing. Since 2006 Zimmermann is Honorary Professor of the university and has long-term academic relationships with Chinese scholars going back to his tenure as Full Professor at the University of Munich (1989-1998).
Honorary Professorship for Zimmermann at Renmin University on December 20, 2006. Zimmermann at the right. Sitting at the left, then Dean & Professor Xiangquan Zeng, now a long-term academic partner and GLO Fellow.
The School of Labor and Human Resources at Renmin University of China (Beijing) and the Global Labor Organization (GLO) had recently announced the creation of a new conference series on issues related to the Chinese labor market. The first event will take place on 20 and 21 October 2018 at Renmin University of China during Zimmermann‘s visit to Beijing. At the conference, Zimmermann will provide a keynote lecture. The deadline for submitting contributions is 15 August 2018.
On October 31 – November 2, Zimmermann will visit Hong Kong to provide a keynote speech at a conference on Climate Change and Human Responses. The conference is a joint venture of the Global Labor Organization (GLO), FOM University of Applied Sciences and Konrad Adenauer Foundation (KAS).
In December 8-9, Zimmermann will return to China. The Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics (WISE), Xiamen University, is organizing the 2018 International Symposium on Contemporary Labor Economics together with the Institute for Economic and Social Research (IESR) of Jinan University, and the Department of Economics of the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
In March 2018, Zimmermann had already visited the Institute for Economic and Social Research (IESR) of Jinan University for an intensive academic visit, a GLO-IESR labor workshop, and various seminars and research talks (see links below).
These visits complement the intensive engagements Zimmermann had over the years during his tenures at the University of Munich and University of Bonn for three decades.
The China 2018 program of Zimmermann
- December – 12; 8-9: Xiamen University, Xiamen, China. Keynote Speech at the 2018 International Symposium on Contemporary Labor Economics.
- October/November – 10-11; 31-2: Hong Kong/China. FOM-KAS-GLO Joint Research Conference. “Climate Change and Human Responses.” Speaker and Co-organizer.
- October – 10; 20-21: Renmin University of China, Beijing/China. Conference on “The Chinese Labor Market”. Keynote speech.
- October – 10; 8-31: Renmin University of China, Beijing/China. Visiting Professor.
- March – 3; 11-20: Guangzhou/China; Jinan University; Research and contact visit. Career seminar. GLO-IESR workshop participation and paper presentation. Public Policy Lecture on European Migration. Debate with Editor of “Social Science in China”. Debate with Dean & GLO Fellow Shuaizhang Feng on unemployment.