Does globalization increases or decreases the size of government (“compensation” versus “efficiency” hypothesis)? The debate is re-visited with innovative bureaucracy and globalization indicators using panel data for the unexplored period 2000-2016. Robust evidence suggests that global competition reduces public employment.
- Gözgör, Giray & Bilgin, Mehmet Huseyin & Zimmermann, Klaus F.
- GLO Fellows & GLO President
- Public Employment Decline in Developing Countries in the 21st Century: The Role of Globalization
- GLO Discussion Paper No. 326.
- Pre-publication Version. (With complete Online Appendix.)
- Published: Economics Letters, preliminary version available with Elsevier ONLINE
- Published version online, Economics Letters 184 (2019).