Still too early for a final judgment; but Sweden is an important alternative to the mainstream approach of total lockdown. Only this way we can learn how to best approach such pandemics to save lives in the future. Final answers only after we are “out of the fog”.
DEU: Germany; SWE: Sweden; GBR: UK; NOR: Norway; Source see below.
But Sweden currently has a much higher fatality ratio than Germany or other Nordic countries.
See for the diversity of academic views:
- ” I fear it will be much worse.” GLO Interview on the #coronavirus with Howard Markel, physician and medical historian at the University of Michigan, who has studied the use of non-pharmaceutical interventions in the big influenza epidemic of 1918 in the US.
April 20, 2020
- Interview with Development Economist Asad Islam of Monash University about the challenges of the #coronacrisis for developing economies
April 19, 2020
- Revealing the Sources of the Chinese Success Story in the Anti-Corona Fight, January-February 2020. Paper forthcoming in the Journal of Population Economics. April 9, 2020
- No complete lockdown needed? The Swedish case. Interview with Erik Lindqvist of Stockholm University. April 3, 2020
- Global Insights – eine Meinung: Coronavirus und das Elend des “Lockdowns”. Op-ed of the GLO President on the perils of global lockdowns in the coronacrisis (in German).
April 2, 2020
- Interview with Robert Sauer of Royal Holloway, London, about the public lockdown in the #coronavirus crisis. “It is time to end this misguided social experiment.” April 1, 2020
Source of figure: Twitter on April 20, 2020